Saturday, June 11, 2005

Losing Weight and Gaining Momentum ...

Right now it's Saturday night - funny how time flies when you are having fun !

I have lost half a stone since finishing at Haringey on Tuesday of last week - mainly through fasting and going to the gym every day. My wife is happier because she says I will look better when I meet her family next week. I try to tell her that in the Malaysian culture 'Big is Beautiful' but she keeps reminding me that she is the Malaysian person in our marriage - no sense of humour.
Tomorrow we leave for Kuala Lumpur (commonly called KL) on Qatar Airways. We are flying Qatar because they have a 'special' deal whereby we can afford to fly business class. My wife is paying her own fare (I am obviously giving her too much housekeeping money !). A few years ago we were upgraded on American Airlines (one of those occasions where my wife was successful in persuading me to dress smartly for a flight) when I guess we looked the part of Business Class passengers. The flight was like sitting in a leather armchair from London to Miami. Since that date, my wife said 'In future, when I fly, I always want to turn left when I board the plane'. We haven't always managed it but we have this time. We change planes in Doha,(capital city of Qatar), where we have a chance to wander in the streets and stare at all the Arabs who live on very little money and spend most off their time simply trying to survive. There are a lot of beggars and you have to resolve not to give any of them anything otherwise all their friends and family surround you and you never get away. Then the flight leaves without you and what was a diversion turns into a nightmare.
Then after another 3 hours we arrive in Malaysia where my wife will be perfectly at home and I feel like a visting dignitary. I get the feeling of what it must be Prince Charles - people surround me and wait for me to say something smart, entertaining and funny - in a language they can understand - which often does not include English !

Then when we visit my wife's sisters, she sits on the floor in the kitchen with them, and I sit at a dinner table in solitary splendour, being served an endless series of courses to eat while assorted little nephews and nieces stare at me, say 'Hello, Uncle Barry' and then laugh and run away giggling !

All for now.

Take care.

Regards

Barry

No comments: